SponCon 2020 is on Saturday, September 12th!
SponCon is the nittiest, grittiest, smashin-est, bashin-est, clangin-est, bangin-est, creativist, barbaloot savin-est party in town!
***COVID-19 has changed many things, but it has not changed our excitement for reuse! SponCon will proceed, though it will look a little different this year. Stay tuned for details about our new health and safety protocols.***
Designed to inspire a culture of reuse with a free, engaging community activity, Spontaneous Construction, or “SponCon” for short, has become an annual Missoula tradition. Contest participants have seven hours to use their choice of Home ReSource materials to build the most beautiful, functional, and creative pieces they can dream up.
We provide a variety of enjoyable, inventive reuse activities, music, and access to local food vendors for contestants and spectators alike. The event draws teams of artists, DIYers, and builders to create works of art and utility, as well as approximately 500 onlookers just there for the fun. After the judges announce winners, some pieces are auctioned on site, and top-judged creations go to the Benefit Auction.
2020 EVENT INFO
Our team is hard at work planning a safe, fun, interactive event in alignment with COVID-19 guidelines and in keeping with the spirit and celebration of creative reinvention. Here is what we know so far:
- Building will still take place at Home ReSource, as long as conditions allow, with (as always) significant safety protocols in place. (If necessary, we will establish a protocol for building at home.)
- Safety protocols include, but are not limited to: hand washing; mandatory face coverings; social distancing (6 feet between people!); increased sanitation; and a limited number of people on the premises. (These protocols are subject to change; click here for up-to-date store safety information.)
- The store will be CLOSED during the contest (Saturday, Sept. 12).
- Spectatorship will still be encouraged, with limitations (like only a few folks at a time) and options (like live feed video). Missoulians love to see the magic of teams’ creative reinventions, so we will do everything we can to safely engage the community.
- On-site activities will be transformed, to the best of our ability, into do-it-at-home projects! Check back later for more info.
- We are working on ways to highlight local musicians. Stay tuned for more details!
- Food and beverages will be available for teams, but food available to the public will be limited.
- NO DOGS are allowed at the event, except for service animals.
- We still need volunteers! More details and sign-ups to come.
- As in the past, winning creations will be publicly displayed and sold at our Annual Benefit Auction, which will take place on Friday, Oct. 16. This event will also look very different, but we are still going to have a great time.
Questions? Interested in sponsorship opportunities? Want to get involved? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (406) 541-8301.