Saturday, September 12th!
Designed to inspire a culture of reuse with a free, engaging community activity, Spontaneous Construction, or “SponCon” for short, has become an annual Missoula tradition. Contest participants have seven hours to use their choice of Home ReSource materials to build the most beautiful, functional, and creative pieces they can dream up.
This year, SponCon has been slightly re-imagined to keep all participants and staff socially distanced and healthy. What remains is the spirit of creative reinvention and reuse as teams of artists, DIYers, and builders create works of art and utility. Live streaming will be set up this year so anyone can see the teams in action from the comfort of their own home. Limited on site spectators will be allowed. After the judges announce winners – usually around 5 pm, some pieces are auctioned on site, and top-judged creations go to the Benefit Auction.
This year you can SponCon at home, thanks to First Interstate Bank. Take home building kits, will be available free of charge, utilize reused materials and, are good for children, adults and families! Reserve your project today (supplies limited) and get in on the spirit of celebrating creative reinvention.
Compete in the 7 hour building competition! Do you have what it takes to make an amazing upcycled masterpiece? Of course you do! Even if you don’t, your still going to have a ton of fun trying! Register your PRO or general team while there is still space and let the games begin.
ONE (and only one for social-distancing purposes) representative from each team is required to attend the pre-event orientation on Wednesday, September 9 from 6 – 7:30pm. Pizza and beer will be provided and teams will get to sneak a peek at available materials to get the creative juices flowing.
REGISTER FOR THESE ACTIVITIES
SponCon at home. Take home building kits will keep you and your kids entertained for hours (or really like 30 minutes). Projects include almost all you need to build something functional, repurposed, and creative. These take home building kits are FREE – Thanks to our amazing friends at First Interstate Bank. Reserve your while supplies last.
Paint-A-Door. Of all the community art projects we normally have on site during SponCon, Paint-A-Door has a special place in our hearts and amazingly easy to continue in a socially distanced setting (woohoo!) So for all you Paint-a-Door fans and newbies we are asking you to reserve your time slot in advance here.
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT 2020?
- Building will still take place at Home ReSource, as long as conditions allow, with (as always) significant safety protocols in place. (If necessary, we will establish a protocol for building at home.)
- Safety protocols include, but are not limited to: hand washing; mandatory face coverings; social distancing and increased spacing; increased sanitation; and a limited number of people on the premises. (These protocols are subject to change; click here for up-to-date store safety information.)
- The store will be CLOSED during the contest (Saturday, Sept. 12).
- Spectatorship will still be encouraged, with limitations (like only a few folks at a time) and options (like live feed video). Missoulians love to see the magic of teams’ creative reinventions, so we will do everything we can to safely engage the community.
- SponCon without Paint-a-Door?! No way! Stations will be on site and socially distanced so you don’t have to fit a door in your Geo Metro. We just ask you reserve your time slot in advance.
- SponCon at home with our take home activity kits. Reserve yours here.
- NO DOGS are allowed at the event, except for service animals.
- As in the past, winning creations will be publicly displayed and sold at our Annual Benefit Auction, which will take place in October. This event will also look very different, but we are still going to have a great time.
Questions? Interested in sponsorship opportunities? Want to get involved? Email email@example.com or call (406) 541-8301.